Our voluntary services department organises and co-ordinates the activities of members of the public who wish to give their time, free of charge, to support our activities. We would like to thank you for wanting to find out about our volunteering service and considering joining our team of volunteers.
About our volunteers
More than 600 volunteers are already working closely with our staff in 80 different roles contributing over 32,000 hours a year. Volunteers are an important part of the Trust and contribute to our value of providing a compassionate and caring experience for patients, carers and visitors.
Our volunteers come from a variety of different cultures, ethnicities and communities aged between 18 and 90. Volunteering is a two way process; the Trust gains an integral member of the workforce who enhances and complements the work of our 13,650 staff. The benefits for volunteers can include:
- making a real difference to someone’s life
- improving your confidence and motivation
- puting to good use your work related and people skills if retired
- meeting new people from all different backgrounds and walks of life
- improving your CV
- improving your health – various studies have shown that those who volunteer live longer and have lower rates of depression than those who do not volunteer.
Who can volunteer?
- Are you 18 or older?
- Can you attend regularly (at least once a week for six months)?
- Do you enjoy helping others?
- Are you good at mixing with people?
- Are you legally allowed to volunteer in the UK?
If you can answer yes to all of these questions you may be the person we are looking for to join our team of volunteers.
What do volunteers do and how can I apply?
All roles are non clinical and new opportunities are being developed all the time so keep checking our current volunteering page for new roles that might be of interest to you.
When a role is available the role description will be posted on our volunteering roles page. Please only apply for a role if it matches your requirements and availability. We shortlist application forms and we are looking for people who have read and understood the role description.
Please be advised volunteering is not work experience. Find out about work experience at Guy's and St Thomas'.
Contact the voluntary services team
If you would like to discuss anything further or need additional help please contact the voluntary services team.
Telephone: 020 7188 1658 or 020 7188 8399.