We work with many different organisations and services to bring about change for the benefit of patients.
Our Chief Executive led the development of Our Healthier South East London, the Sustainability and Transformation Partnership for our region, working closely with colleagues in local authorities, clinical commissioning groups and other partner organisations.
Trust staff continue to play an active role in the programmes of the STP as we seek to establish sustainable services for our local population through greater collaboration.
This builds on our considerable experience in supporting other organisations including in Medway and previously at the Christie NHS Foundation Trust and Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn.
We work closely with our partners in our academic health sciences centre (AHSC), King's Health Partners. As an AHSC, we are committed to broadening our work to include GPs and others working in primary care. This is demonstrated by the successful roll out of our Local Care Record which provides joined up access to clinical records for the benefit of patients.
Global health leadership roles
We are proud of our global health leadership role. We are working with hospitals in west Africa to develop training and encourage sustainable planning as part of the King's Health Partners’ Global Health Programme.
We are also proud to host a number of local and national health organisations, including:
Guy's and St Thomas' Healthcare Alliance
The Guy’s and St Thomas’ Healthcare Alliance has grown out of a partnership between Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust and Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust. Dartford and Gravesham are the founding members of the Healthcare Alliance.
The Healthcare Alliance allows us to work together formally on developing clinical services and pathways, as well as on areas including education, training and development and research.
It takes the expertise and knowledge of a major London teaching trust and develops new and innovative methods to bring this closer to patients’ homes, improving the quality of care and experience for patients.
The story so far
The Healthcare Alliance builds on the success of the Foundation Healthcare Group Vanguard collaboration between the two organisations, part of NHS England’s new care models programme, which ran from April 2016 to March 2018. The Vanguard tested a collaborative approach to working in three clinical areas: cardiology, vascular and children's services.
Working together, we have already achieved a significant amount on behalf of our patients.
- In 2017, over 800 patient appointments were held at Darent Valley Hospital rather than Guy’s and St Thomas’, enabling patients to receive care closer to home and saving more than 35,000 patient travel miles.
- Children and young people with epilepsy have benefitted from the closer working between the teams at Darent Valley and Evelina London Children’s Hospital, with fewer people needing to travel to London for care and the introduction of a Roald Dahl specialist children’s nurse.
- The adoption at Darent Valley of the POPS (proactive care of older people undergoing surgery) approach developed at Guy’s and St Thomas’ is improving care for older people requiring surgery, with better outcomes, faster recovery and more efficient services.
- A multidisciplinary diabetic foot care clinic at Dartford and Gravesham, which includes a Guy’s and St Thomas’ vascular surgeon, has reduced the need for multiple appointments and unnecessary referrals to London. Where urgent specialist treatment is needed, patients can be admitted to Guy’s and St Thomas’ on the same day.
- Building on the expertise and networks of the Guy’s and St Thomas’ cardiology team, Dartford and Gravesham have been able to introduce a new service to offer faster care and better outcomes for people suffering from blackouts.
- In the first year of Guy’s and St Thomas’ delivering Dartford and Gravesham’s procurement function, over £800,000 was saved. This is scarce resource that can be reinvested instead on direct patient care, staff training and development, or research.
- The creation of new roles and the opportunities for working within a wider multidisciplinary network have enhanced professional development opportunities and supported staff recruitment and retention.
These and many other achievements are described in more detail in Foundations for Change, our end of programme report (PDF 2Mb).
The Healthcare Alliance will take the learning from the Foundation Healthcare Group and explore further opportunities for collaboration.
In 2018/19 the focus will be on starting to deliver the Healthcare Alliance strategy (PDF 495Kb). During this time, a number of initiatives will be delivered in four strategic priority areas:
- delivering consistent, high quality care
- developing our people
- leveraging scarce resources
- embracing innovation.
We will continue to report on the successes and learning from the Healthcare Alliance throughout 2018/19. If the collaboration continues to prove successful in its new format, other NHS trusts may join the Healthcare Alliance over time.
Background on the work of the Foundation Healthcare Group Vanguard collaboration
Read past editions of Foundation Healthcare Group Vanguard, the monthly newsletter of the programme.
Video: the Vanguard journey explained
Video: the vision
Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust and Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust worked together as a Vanguard site for the new models of care programme. The model aimed to allow the two trusts to collaborate and share information more effectively without the formal organisational change of a merger or acquisition.
Dr Jugdeep Dhesi, consultant physician at Guy's and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, talks about the ‘Proactive Care of Older People undergoing Surgery’ (POPS) service which is being run at Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust.
Video: patient and public engagement
Andrea Carney, patient and public engagement manager at Guy's and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, shares her thoughts on the importance of patient and public engagement within the context of the Foundation Healthcare Group Vanguard Programme.