Antonina Di Benedetto
Consultant urological surgeon
Antonina Di Benedetto (also known as Ella Di Benedetto) was jointly appointed as a consultant urological surgeon at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust and honorary consultant at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust in February 2019.
She qualified from the University of Messina School of Medicine in 2008 and she completed her training in urology in 2014. Subsequently she undertook surgical and urological specialist training in hospitals in east London and completed two fellowships at Guy's and St Thomas' in stone disease and holmium laser prostate enucleation and prostate diagnostic before taking up her consultant appointment.
She has also participated in the MRI prostate interpretation course and she has a master's degree in urinary tract sonography.
She carries out a wide range of general urological procedures and has a sub-specialist interest in stone disease, laser prostatectomy for patients with very enlarged prostates, minimally invasive treatment for BPH and advanced prostate cancer diagnostics using MRI-guided transperineal prostate.
Education and training
- Prostate fellowship (HoLEP) Guy's and St Thomas' (2019)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Urology (FRCS Urol) (2018)
- Stone fellowship Guy's and St Thomas' (2018)
- Fellow of the European Board of Urology (FEBU) (2014)
- Postgraduate specialisation in urological nephrological and andrological ultrasound (2013)
- Bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery, University of Messina (2008)
- Prize for best poster (co-author) – Société Internationale d'Urologie Congress, Athens, Greece (2019)
- Prize for best poster (co-author) – Royal Society of Medicine, Urology Section, London (2010)
- 1st for flexible ureteroscopy simulation: 8th international course of rigid and flexible ureteroscopy. Ospedale Cristo Re Rome (June 2015)
- Prize for best poster (co-author) – BAUS Section of Endourology Meeting 2016
- Best paper nomination – World Congress of Endourology Cape Town 2016
Antonia has been involved in a number of clinical research projects. Her clinical papers and presentation have included, the role of metal stent in the urinary tract, stone disease, HoLEP and prostate cancer diagnostic.
- Stone disease (ureteroscopy, PCNL, stone disease prevention, metabolic stones, ESWL)
- Male lower urinary tract symptoms/benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP)
- New minimally invasive technologies for management of prostatic enlargement (Rezum ®)
- Prostate cancer diagnostics
- General urology
Last updated: April 2022