Consultant in community sexual health and HIV
Rudiger Pittrof qualified in Germany and worked in the UK, Europe and sub-Saharan Africa in general medicine, obstetrics and gynaecology, and academic public health before training in genitourinary medicine and HIV.
Rudi is a sexual and reproductive health (SRH)/HIV consultant at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust. He is also an honorary member of the health inclusion team, an honorary consultant in sexual health at South London and the Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust and an honorary associate professor at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
He works in conventional clinics but also sees patients wherever they are. He regularly visits addiction treatment centres, psychiatric in and outpatient settings and homeless hostels. This part of his work is a Guy's and St Thomas' charity financed project called SHRINE, to deliver human rights based sexual and reproductive health care to highly marginalised people. He also works in two prisons and with British Forces Germany.
Education and training
- German medical degree
- MSc in STIs and HIV
- Dip GUM
- Healthcare for minorities and people with poor access to care
- Service innovation
- David Bromham Award for innovation in sexual and reproductive healthcare – Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare
- Cathy Harman Award for Innovation in Sexual Health – British Association for Sexual Health and HIV
- Burdett Nursing Award – together with the Guy's and St Thomas' safeguarding midwives
c/o Davina Austin-Harvey
Tel: 020 7188 2652
Fax: 020 7188 7705
Areas of expertise: sexual and reproductive health (SRH) and HIV care for highly marginalised people
Languages spoken: German and English
- Sexual and reproductive health and HIV care for deprived and marginalised people and for people with serious health problems
Sexual and reproductive health and HIV care for people in low income countries
Last updated: November 2019