Secretary: Ms Daxa Patel
Secretary email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of expertise: cataract, cornea and ocular surface, primary care and eye casualty.
Laura de Benito-Llopis is an experienced cornea, cataract and laser eye surgeon. She was fellowship trained at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, and was awarded a PhD for her thesis on corneal wound healing after laser eye surgery.
Laura has worked as a consultant at St Thomas’ since 2012. She has published over 30 papers and is an invited speaker at a number of international meetings. She is involved in teaching on a number of national and international surgical courses. Laura is a member of the Royal College of Ophthalmology as well as the European and American societies of cataract, cornea and refractive surgeons.
Education and training
- Graduate with Honours (Summa cum Laude) in medicine and surgery, University of Valencia Medical School, Valencia, Spain
- PhD, title: 'corneal refractive surgery with the excimer laser: advanced surface ablation procedures'
- Flelowship Cornea, Ocular Surface and Anterior Segment Department, Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, UK
- Observership at the Cornea department, Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, US.
- microincision cataract surgery
- intraocular lens exchange
- cataract surgery in uveitis, small pupil or post-traumatic cases
- refractive approach to cataract surgery: toric lenses, monovision, young patients undergoing cataract surgery after vitreo-retinal surgery
- microbial keratitis
- management of ocular perforations
- rheumatoid keratitis
- dry eye and Sjogren’s syndrome
- skin-related ocular surface problems: ocular rosacea, allergic eye disease, mucous membrane pemphigoid, Stevens-Johnson disease
- corneal wound healing and refractive surgery.