Sexual assault


If you have been raped or sexually assaulted, the first thing you need to do is go somewhere you feel safe, such as the home of a close friend or family member.

If you feel you're able to, you should consider telling someone you trust what has happened.

If you're not sure whether you want to go to the police, you can go with a friend or family member to a sexual assault referral centre.

You can go to:

All doctors and nurses will deal with your medical needs confidentially, and they will not inform the police.


Telephone support and advice

  • Victim Support – 0845 30 30 900
  • NHS 111 – 111
  • Samaritans – 08457 90 90 90
  • National Domestic Violence Helpline – 0808 2000 247