This page provides general information about the overnight intensive recovery unit.
Directions: from the main entrance, turn right at main reception, then left into the North Wing. Take the lift up to the 2nd floor and follow signs for the main theatres.
Your care on the overnight intensive recovery (OIR) unit
- Number of beds: 11.
- Staff: one to two nurses per patient (depending on patient dependency levels), a team of consultant anaesthetists, surgeons and a physiotherapist.
- Ward rounds: ward rounds generally start at 8.30am. You will be under the care of a consultant anaesthetist. The meeting your ward team page gives more information about the general ward routine.
Information for visitors
- Visiting hours are 3pm-7pm.
- This is an extremely busy unit. Our patients will need a number of procedures and investigations. Visitors will need to call the OIR unit on extension 85617 to see if it is an appropriate time to visit patients.
- Please do not use your mobile phone on the ward as they can interfere with electrical equipment and disturb other patients. There is a telephone on the unit that relatives can contact you on, but please keep these calls to a minimum.
There are no set mealtimes on the OIR unit. After your operation you may not feel like eating straightaway, but we can order food for you as soon as you feel like it.
See our meals page for more information on mealtimes.
Tell us what you think
We hope your stay is as pleasant as possible. If you or any of your visitors have a question or compliment or concern, please: