Our dermatology department is known as St John's Institute of Dermatology. It opened in 1863, and is now one of the world's leading centres for patients with skin disease.
We are the largest clinical dermatology department in the UK.
- treat a wide range of skin diseases from common ones to rare and very severe conditions requiring treatments not available elsewhere in the UK
- are an internationally recognised centre of research into skin diseases
- are a postgraduate training centre in dermatology for other health professionals, including dermatologists from all over the world.
- outpatient departments at both Guy's and St Thomas'
- inpatient beds
- intermediary care and outpatient day care suites
- a dermatology surgery and laser treatment centre
- a clinical research area and laboratories.
See the specialties tab to see the services that our department offers.
Programme of improvements
Self check-in and an electronic patient calling system is now used at the dermatology (Bermondsey) reception.
These were introduced as part of our programme of improvements within dermatology, lupus and rheumatology services at Guy’s Hospital. Read more in the April edition of the GRIDA newsletter (PDF 399Kb).
SKIN, a history
A book telling the story of the world-renowned St John’s Institute of Dermatology has been published to mark its 150th anniversary.
SKIN, a history documents the first 150 years of St John’s, from its humble beginnings in two rooms in Soho to the development of today’s Institute which has six specialist departments providing cutting edge treatments and research.
Written by esteemed health journalist Jeremy Laurance, the book paves the way to even greater successes over the next 150 years as we lead the way at the forefront of modern medical care.