Medical Toxicology and Information Services Ltd (MTIS) provide 24 hour telephone information services to a wide variety of organisations. It consists of three services:
- emergency scientific and medical services (eSMS)
- Chinese medicine advisory service (ChiMAS)
- veterinary poisons information service (VPIS)
Please note this department does not provide poisons information services to the NHS.
- If you're a member of the public and have questions about poisoning or overdose, contact NHS 111.
- If you're a healthcare professional and need emergency advice, please access TOXBASE or contact the National Poisons Information Service using the telephone number listed on TOXBASE and in the BNF.
Also, please note that this department does not see patients. Patients may be referred to the clinical toxicology service, which is not part of MTIS.
Emergency scientific and medical services (eSMS)
The Trust contracts with both private sector and NHS organisations to provide a permanently staffed 24/7 emergency telephone response service. Clients include most of the top 10 pharmaceutical companies and some highly respected academic institutions. The services provided include:
- clinical trials emergency unblinding
- medical information for marketed products
- emergency medical response
- adverse event management and reporting.
Chinese medicine advisory service (ChiMAS)
This service provides use and safety information on Chinese and other traditional herbal medicine to health professionals.
- advice on safety and interactions
- investigation of suspected adverse effects
- identification of herbal material as prescribed for use in herbal prescriptions
- consultancy and research
Veterinary poisons information service (VPIS)
This is a subscription service which delivers information and specialist advice by telephone 24/7 to veterinary professionals on the treatment of poisoned animals.