Academic promotions for Guy's and St Thomas' staff
Monday 30 November 2020
More than 20 clinicians at Guy’s and St Thomas’ have been promoted as part of the 2019-20 Academic promotions in King’s College London’s Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine.
The promotions will come into effect on 1 February 2021.
Dr Ian Abbs, Chief Executive at Guy's and St Thomas', said: “I want to personally congratulate everyone who has been awarded a promotion in what has been a really challenging year. Now more than ever, we see that it is through research that we can improve care for our patients.
“We are incredibly proud of the research our staff do and the breadth of activity represented in this list is a great testament to the strength in depth we have here at Guy’s and St Thomas’.”
The following clinicians have gained professorships:
- Consultant surgeon Mr Stephen Black whose research investigates vascular surgery, particularly specialising in deep vein thrombosis. Mr Black is also Research and Development lead for cardiac surgery.
- Dr Amedeo Chiribiri, who is head of our adult clinical CMR scanning services and an honorary consultant at the Trust.
- Dr Gerald Carr-White, a consultant cardiologist, who is also our clinical lead for heart failure and inherited cardiac diseases.
- Dr Richard Leach, the co-clinical director of our pulmonary medicine, adult critical care and sleep management team.
- Dr Sheng Lim, the head of our glaucoma service, who is also currently the ophthalmology departmental lead for research.
- Dr Barbara McGowan, who leads our obesity bariatric service. Her areas of research interest include gut hormones and remission of type 2 diabetes after bariatric surgery.
- Dr Ronak Rajani, who is a consultant cardiologist in heart valve disease. His research focuses on the application of innovative imaging techniques to diagnose and treat heart disease.
- Dr Manu Shankar-Hari whose primary research interest is sepsis. During 2020, he has also led key COVID-19 research, including the convalescent plasma arm of the REMAP-Cap study.
The full list of promotions for Guy’s and St Thomas’ staff is below.
- Stephen Black – Professor
- Gerald Carr-White – Professor
- Amedeo Chiribiri – Professor
- Richard Leach – Professor
- Kin Sheng Lim – Professor
- Barbara McGowan – Professor
- Ronak Rajani – Professor
- Manu Shankar-Hari – Professor
- Anita Banerjee – Reader
- Jonathan Birns – Reader
- Helen Brough – Reader
- Luigi Camporata – Reader
- Benjamin Challacombe – Reader
- Antonia Cronin – Reader
- Hiva Fassihi – Reader
- Simon Goldenberg – Reader
- Janaka Karalliedde – Reader
- Arun Sahai – Reader
- Debashis Sarker – Reader
- Ahmad Sayasneh – Reader
- Daisuke Nonaka – Reader
- Jude Oben – Reader
Last updated: November 2020