Consultant medical oncologist
Dr Alex Georgiou is a consultant medical oncologist. He completed his medical oncology training and a PhD at the Royal Marsden Hospital and the affiliated Institute of Cancer Research, London (2012-2019). His PhD investigated resistance mechanisms to targeted cancer therapies. He has published and presented his laboratory and clinical research in international oncology conferences and reputable journals.
Dr Georgiou was appointed as a consultant at Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital in 2020. He specialises in the treatment of lung cancer, mesothelioma and thymic tumours.
Education and training
- 2019 – PhD, Institute of Cancer Research
- 2019 – Completion of Medical Oncology Training, The Royal Marsden Hospital
- 2017 – Postgraduate Diploma in Oncology, Institute of Cancer Research
- 2015 – Speciality Certificate Examination in Medical Oncology, Royal College of Physicians
- 2012 – MRCP, Royal College of Physicians
- 2008 – MBChB Hons, University of Liverpool
- 2007 – First Class in Pharmacology, University of Liverpool BSc (Hons)
Dr Georgiou has a keen interest in the role of novel therapies for cancers with experience in translational research and clinical trials.
- 2018 – European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO) merit award for the quality of the abstract which has been accepted for presentation during the ESMO 2018 Congress, Munich, Germany
2019 – University of London scholarship to present research at the American Association of Cancer Research annual meeting, 2019, Atlanta, USA
Last updated: May 2021