Consultant special care dentistry
Chris Dickinson has worked for over 20 years in special care dentistry in both primary and secondary care settings. He works at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust as a consultant in special care dentistry. He is an honorary senior lecturer in the faculty of dentistry, oral and craniofacial sciences, King’s College London (KCL).
Chris teaches and examines KCL undergraduates and postgraduates in restorative, sedation and special care dentistry topics. He is the lead for the postgraduate taught diploma in conscious sedation for dentistry and the clinical infection control lead for the dental hospitals at Guy’s and St Thomas’. He is a module assessor/tutor in special care dentistry for the distance learning MClinDent in prosthodontics at KCL. Chris is the KCL representative on the national committee of the Dental Sedation Teachers Group.
Chris has taught special care dentistry, sedation, infection control, BLS and medical emergencies in dentistry for a number of organisations. He is a presiding examiner for the National Examining Board for Dental Nurses (NEBDN) dental sedation nursing post-certification qualification. He is a member of the SAAD teaching faculty.
Before becoming a consultant at Guy's, Chris spent 13 years in community dental practice starting as a dental officer with Camden and Islington CDS and ending as Deputy Clinical Director (DCD) of Merton, Sutton and Wandsworth CDS. He set up the restorative, domiciliary service for elderly, homebound, medically compromised and learning disabled adults in the 3 boroughs. This involved outpatient day case general anaesthetic and sedation service provision. During this time he was involved in some of the initial working groups when special care dentistry, as a specialty, was first proposed.
Education and training
- Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery (MFDS), RCS (Eng), 2004
- Diploma in Dental Surgery (DipDSed) (King's College London), 2000
- Diploma in Dental Public Health (DDPH), RCS (Eng), 1994
- Master of Science (MSc) (Prosthetic Dentistry) (U.Lond), Eastman Dental Hospital, 1991
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) (U.Lond), Guy’s Hospital Dental School, 1983
- Licence in Dental Surgery (LDS), RCS (Eng), 1984
Email: [email protected]
- Conscious sedation
- Special care dentistry
- Restorative oral health care for patients with haematological disorders, epidermolysis bullosa, severe medical and cardiac conditions, extreme phobia and gagging problems
- Infection control in dentristry
Last updated: January 2023