Consultant orthopaedic hand and wrist surgeon
Lorenzo Garagnani is the joint lead of the hand unit and consultant orthopaedic hand and wrist surgeon at Guy's and St Thomas', joining in 2015. He is also honorary clinical senior lecturer at the faculty of life sciences and medicine at King's College London and the Trust's lead of undergraduate medical education in orthopaedics and year 3 trauma block.
As a specialist hand and wrist surgeon, he worked at Humanitas Clinical Institute (Rozzano, Milan, Italy), was locum consultant at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London and consultant at the department of hand surgery and microsurgery at Policlinico di Modena University Hospital (Modena, Italy) where he was joint lead of the children's congenital upper limb and hand anomalies service.
He has a broad adult and children's hand and wrist surgery practice, is a reviewer for international scientific journals and a regular speaker and invited faculty member at national and international conferences and courses.
Lorenzo has a keen interest in medical education and regularly teaches medical students and trains international hand fellows and orthopaedic and plastic surgery trainees.
He is director of the International Bone Research Association (IBRA) London Upper Limb Fellowship, tutor for the British diploma in hand surgery and examiner and member of the examination committee of the European Diploma in Hand Surgery.
Lorenzo is the current president of the Paediatric Hand International Society of Surgeons (PHISOS), secretary general of the Italian Medical Society of Great Britain (IMSoGB) and sits on the International Relations Committee and on the International Traveling Fellows Committee of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH). He is past member of the Guidelines Committee of SICM (Italian Society for Surgery of the Hand) and member of a number of international scientific societies.
He has also served as volunteer children's hand and wrist surgeon with a charity providing children's surgery and teaching in Myanmar.
Education and training
- European diploma in hand surgery of the European Board of Hnad Surgery (EBHS)/Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand (FESSH)
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Sub-specialist training in hand and wrist surgery
- Trained in trauma and orthopaedics, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute
- Qualified at Bologna University, Italy
- Minimally invasive techniques and procedures in adult and children's hand and wrist surgery
- Reduction of surgical morbidity
- Innovations in surgery
Secretary: Petra Knight
Phone: 020 7188 4472
Email: [email protected]
- All aspects of hand and wrist surgery
- Complex wrist surgery and wrist arthroscopy (keyhole surgery)
- Surgery of the peripheral nerves of the upper limb
- Congenital anomalies of the hand and upper limb
Last updated: January 2023