Nabeel Sheikh has been a consultant cardiologist and honorary senior clinical lecturer in inherited cardiac conditions and imaging at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust, King's College Hospital and King's College London since 2017.
He specialises in heart muscle diseases and athlete's heart and has given presentations of his research at the scientific sessions of:
- the American College of Cardiology
- the European Society of Cardiology
- the American Heart Association
Nabeel has been invited to speak at major national and international conferences, including the European Society of Cardiology.
He is a Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC).
Nabeel is a member of the Association for Inherited Cardiac Conditions. He is an active member of the British Society of Echocardiography's research and audit committee, through which he has contributed to several national guidelines relating to the echocardiographic evaluation of athletes having screening.
Education and training
- Accreditation for transthoracic and transoesophageal echocardiography, British Society of Echocardiography
- Cardiology training in heart MRI and inherited heart conditions, Guy's and St Thomas, 2016
- PhD on the effects of ethnicity on the expression of cardiomyopathies and athlete's heart, St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and University of London
- Membership of the Royal College of Physicians, 2006
- Neuroscience BSc 1st-class honours and medicine, University College London, 2002
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and the impact of ethnicity on disease expression
- New methods of differentiating physiological left ventricular hypertrophy (athlete's heart) from pathology (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy)
- Athlete's heart
- Differentiation of hypertensive heart disease from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, particularly in the African/Afro-Caribbean population
- Genetics of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and inherited cardiac conditions and factors which change disease expression
- Travel grant to attend European Society of Cardiology in Barcelona, British Heart Foundation, 2014
- Aspetar, Shafallah Medical Genetic Center (Qatar) Grant for PhD genetic testing, 2013
- Project grant for PhD, British Heart Foundation, 2012
- Travel grant, St George's University of London Institute of Cardiovascular and Cell Sciences, 2012
- Travel grant to attend American College of Cardiology, Cardiac Risk in the Young, 2012
- Travel grant for top-rated abstract, British Cardiovascular Society, 2012
- Finalist in the EuroPrevent young investigator award, 2011
- Student book award, GlaxoWellcome and Blackwell Science, 2000
Nabeel has published work relating to sudden death in young athletes in scientific journals. His work in Circulation has directly led to the refinement of screening criteria for athletes and informed the new International ECG screening recommendations published in 2017.
- Inherited heart (cardiac) conditions, particularly heart muscular disorders and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Athlete's heart
- Effect of ethnicity on heart muscle disorders
- Ion channel disorders
- Sudden arrhythmic death syndrome
- Heart MRI
- Echocardiography including transoesophageal echocardiography
Last updated: November 2022