Consultant urological surgeon
Rajesh Nair, FRCS (Urol.), FEBU, MSc. (Urol.) was appointed a consultant urological surgeon at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust in 2017. He has a sub-special interest in open, laparoscopic and robot assisted surgery with a particular focus in uro-oncology (bladder, kidney, prostate and testis cancer) and reconstructive urological surgery.
Rajesh trained as a urological surgeon in the UK and completed his higher specialist training in London where he was awarded the FRCS (Urol.) and FEBU. He has completed three advanced fellowship training programmes in robotics, uro-oncology and reconstructive urology at St George’s Hospital, Guy’s Hospital and the Royal Melbourne Hospital and Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre in Melbourne, Australia.
Rajesh cares for patients with all urological malignancies, he has specific expertise in the investigation of bladder, kidney and upper tract urothelial cancer and performs a range of diagnostic and surgical treatments for these conditions.
He also has a specific interest in bladder and kidney preservation in patients with bladder and upper tract urothelial cancers and has expertise in blue-light (photodynamic) cystoscopy and intravesical (treatment into the bladder) treatment strategies.
Rajesh has a strong academic interest and is committed to surgical education both locally and nationally. Through his active membership with a number of prominent urological and surgical associations he is frequently invited to lecture, present, chair and participate in urological meetings nationally and internationally.
Education and training
- Fellowship in Robotic Surgery, Uro-Oncology and Reconstructive Urology, The Royal Melbourne Hospital and Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Melbourne, Australia (2016-2017)
- Royal College of Surgeons of England – Guy’s Bladder Cancer Fellowship, Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, London, United Kingdom (2015-2016)
- European Robotic Urology Section – Fellowship in Robotic Surgery (Prostatectomy), St George’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London, United Kingdom (2014-2015)
- Higher Specialist Training in Urology, London Deanery, London, United Kingdom (2010-2015)
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS, Distinction), University College London, London, United Kingdom (2001-2006)
Rajesh continues to pursue an academic and research interest within the department at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust and King’s Health Partners.
His research interests have so far been centred around cancer care and complex intraabdominal reconstruction in urology. His future research endeavours involve bladder preservation techniques for bladder cancer and outcomes based analysis following minimally invasive radical cystectomy and urinary diversion. He has a particular interest in improving detection of upper tract urothelial carcinoma and improving quality metrics of nephroureterectomy in this disease.
- First prize: The Royal Society of Medicine – Malcolm Copcoat Prize Meeting, Wimpole Street, London (2014)
- Winner of Best Podium Presentation Prize – London Deanery South Thames Urology Regional Meeting, Brighton (October 2013)
- First Prize: The Royal Society of Medicine – President's Day, Geoffrey Chisholm Prize Meeting, Wimpole Street, London (2013)
- First Prize: British Journal Urology International – Best Abstract Presentation at The Senior Urological Registrars Group Annual Scientific Meeting, Brighton (2012)
- Oxford Handbook of Surgical Consent – Highly Commended in the Surgery Category of the 2012 BMA Medical Book Awards (2012)
- First Prize: British Association of Urological Surgeons – Section of Oncology Prize, Best Podium Presentation Prize (2010)
Rajesh has an extensive record in publication and presentation within his field. Through his research interests he has contributed to medical literature with over 40 peer reviewed publications, six book chapters, edited a book and presented in over 120 national and international presentations.
Secretary: Masud Miah
Secretary tel: 020 7188 7188 0243
Secretary email: [email protected]
Areas of expertise: bladder cancer, kidney cancer, prostate cancer, testis cancer, upper tract urothelial cancer, urinary tract reconstruction, minimally invasive surgery (robotic and laparoscopic), open surgery
- Bladder cancer
- kidney cancer
- prostate cancer
- testis cancer
- upper tract urothelial cancer
- urinary tract reconstruction
- minimally invasive surgery (robotic and laparoscopic)
- open surgery
- blue-light cystoscopy and intravesical bladder treatment strategies in bladder cancer
- continent and incontinent urinary diversion
- bladder and kidney preservation for bladder and kidney cancer
- upper tract urothelial cancer diagnostics and treatment
- PUJ obstruction
- robotic pyeloplasty.
Last updated: April 2022