The NHS could not survive without its highly trained staff. We invest heavily in educating and developing all our employees.
Our education, training and development department (ETD) creates in-house courses and supports staff needing specialist training elsewhere. Many of our courses take place at our education centre near Waterloo station.
The department coordinates and facilitates the following in-house training:
- the Trust's corporate induction is a mandatory training course designed to welcome new starters to the Trust. All new staff must attend this course on the first two days of employment
- we continually strive to ensure staff receive first class training, and all staff are supported in completing their annual mandatory training. Clinical and non-clinical staff undertake their mandatory training by attending a combination of classroom sessions and completing e-learning modules
- we train those who come into contact with the public - including porters, receptionists and catering workers - in customer care and encourage them to gain NVQ qualifications in customer service
- behind the scenes, we have a substantial workforce that ensures the smooth running of our organisation. Management, administrative and clerical staff are encouraged to get, for example, NVQs in business administration, Institute of Leadership management qualifications and professional or craft qualifications
- a major employer in the area, we offer work experience to young people locally, run placements for people with disabilities and autism, and employ apprentices
- we help our professionally trained staff to develop their skills by funding further studies or paying for them to undertake extensive training on highly specialised equipment, attend professional seminars and conferences to learn and share ideas from their peers, or undertake research.