- Current page section : Overview
- Top tips for new apprentices
Apprenticeships are designed to give talented people an opportunity to gain a nationally recognised qualification while completing on the job training with our skilled staff members.
Apprenticeships last between 12 months and 4 years depending on the type of programme you apply for.
We've won multiple awards for our programmes, and our apprenticeships are endorsed by our senior leaders.
Find out what some of our apprentices enjoy most about their apprenticeship.
My name is Camilla, I used to be a business admin apprentice at Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital and I am now a patient access officer.
The one thing that surprised me about my apprenticeship was I was instantly accepted and treated as if I was a permanent member and it's been excellent ever since.
More than 15,000 people work at Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital, up to a hundred of them are apprentices, you can be one of them.
You'll get a qualification, a job, experience, a wage and lots of training. It's a perfect way to start your NHS career.
Let's meet the other apprentices.
My name's Louie, I'm an engineering apprentice. My job takes me all over the hospital, from top to bottom. The one thing I really found surprising about my job was that I never thought my role would have an impact on theatre procedures.
My name is Daniel and I'm an apprentice in sterile services and I never thought to this day that I'd be learning the names of all the surgical instruments. It's a bit crazy that I'm doing it and I've learnt how to do it but I'm very happy to be here.
My name is Jessica, I'm one of the apprentice dental nurses. I love my job and I never thought I'd have so much responsibility working closely with the dentist and being part of the patient's care. And I get a qualification at the end of it.
Camilla: Whatever career you want, an apprenticeship will help get you there. And you won't spend your day making the tea. Apply for an apprenticeship at Guy's and St Thomas', start your NHS career here.
What you'll get with us
Our apprenticeship teams provide high-quality support to help you with your career journey. You'll receive excellent training from our chosen trainers, a chance to network and meet other apprentices, and the opportunity to put forward your own ideas to change our services for the better. Whatever your career goals, you'll find help and support to get you where you need to be.
Our line managers recruit apprentices into real roles while providing support and mentoring for your long-term career goals. Our managers are involved because they want to support your life in a positive way and help provide you with the skills needed to help our patients.
We strive to be the best and want to help you achieve your best too. We offer a wide range of apprenticeships to suit your potential and help you on your journey to a career in the NHS.
We recruit apprentices at different times of year and pay and conditions are variable.
We currently offer apprenticeships in:
- business administration level 3 (entry requirements: maths and English, A to C grade or equivalent)
- dental nursing level 3 (entry requirements: maths and English, A to C grade or equivalent)
- electrical engineering
- healthcare science level 2 (entry requirements: maths, English and science, A to C grade or equivalent)
- mechanical engineering
- pharmacy level 3 (entry requirements: maths, English and science, A to C grade or equivalent)
- project management (capital development)
- healthcare science practitioner level 6 (entry requirements: GCSE A* to C or equivalent in English, maths and double science. A level at grade C or above or equivalent in 2 science subjects, chemistry and biology)
- operating department practitioner level 6 (entry requirements: GCSE A* to C or equivalent in English, maths and science. Level 3 (A level, Access, BTEC) equivalent to 96 UCAS points and completion of care certificate
Find out about the many benefits of working with us.