Antonia Cronin was appointed consultant nephrologist in 2010.
Alongside her clinical expertise in nephrology and transplantation, Antonia has an internationally renowned portfolio of academic expertise in the field of organ donation and transplantation ethics and law. She is a tutor at the Centre for Medical Law and Ethics at King’s and affiliate member of King's College Social Science, Health and Biomedicine, Ethics and Social Justice research group.
Antonia’s expertise in ethics and law has led to numerous public and professional appointments. From 2008-2016 she was a trustee of the Governing Body of the Institute of Medical Ethics (IME). From 2012-2016 she was appointed member of the UK Government's Donation Ethics Committee (UKDEC). During this appointment she contributed to numerous policies on organ donation ethics published by the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges. From 2008-2011 and from 2014-2018 she was Chair of the British Transplantation Society (BTS) Ethics Committee and BTS Council Member. In this role she organised and facilitated national symposia, conferences and industry sponsored events and worked alongside stakeholders to develop national guidelines and position statements. Since 2017 she has been a board member of the Ethical Legal and Psychological Aspects of Transplantation (ELPAT) group, which is a sub-section of the European Society of Transplantation (ESOT). She is co-chair of their Ethical and Legal Boundaries section.
She is currently a Honorary Reader in Medical Ethics and Law at King's College, London.
Education and training
- Fellow of the Royal College Physicians (FRCP (UK)), 2016
- PhD, 2010
- MA (Distinction), 2006
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP (UK)), 1999
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), 1996
- Bachelor of Science (BSc), University College London, 1993
- Ethical and legal analysis on matters raised by scientific research and clinical practice, in particular the regulation of organ donation and transplantation and the translation of its related research into clinical practice
Last updated: July 2023