Consultant urological surgeon
Ben Challacombe was appointed to Guy's and St Thomas' in 2010 following his fellowship in Australia. He is the assistant clinical lead for urology and MDM cancer lead for all urological maligancies.
His areas of interest are benign and malignant prostate disease and minimally invasive surgery for the upper urological tract.
Ben is the highest volume surgeon for robotic partial nephrectomy in the UK (over 600 cases) and also specialises in robotic radical prostatectomy, and robotic surgery for nephro-ureterectomy, pyeloplasty, adrenalectomy and nephrectomy, and Holmium laser prostatectomy (HoLEP). Overall Ben has performed over 2000 robotic procedures and 1000 HoLEPS.
He is the Trust lead for clinical robotics, runs the International robotic fellowship programme and teaches robotics and HoLEP at the British and European and World Annual Urology meetings.
Ben is also involved in the academic and research programmes within the department. He has a Certificate in Postgraduate Education and is involved with both undergraduate and postgraduate urological teaching. He has been the Guy’s and St Thomas' surgical tutor for junior surgeons.
Education and training
- Clinical Fellowship in Urological Oncology including robotics and laparoscopy – Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia, 2008-2009
- Master of Surgery (MS) degree in telemedicine and telerobotics, 2002-2003
- Bachelor of Science (BSc (hons)) in clinical anatomy and wound healing, 1995
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS (hons)) – United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals, 1992-1998
- Clinical research and audit in robotic surgery
- Simulation and validation
- Sentinel node applications in urology
- Telementoring in urology
- BAUS Golden Cystoscope for Contributions to Urology within 10 years of consultant appointment, 2019
- Best paper EAU 2014 upper tract: robotic partial nephrectomy; the learning curve
- UK nomination for EAU Crystal Matula, 2013
- Shortlisted for Silver Scalpel 2013 for best UK surgical trainer
- The Rowan Nicks UK and Ireland Scholarship from the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, 2009
- Over 230 peer reviewed papers on the US National Library of Medicine, PubMed
- h-Index 33, RG - Score 48.7
- Over 400 international poster and podium presentations
- 15 book chapters and edited three books (Diagnostic Urology, Small Renal masses, The Big Prostate)
- Urology Editor Gray's Surgical Anatomy
Secretary: Patrick Tall
Secretary email: [email protected]
Secretary phone: 020 7188 6796
- Robotic partial nephrectomy
- Robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy
- Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP)
- Robotic nephro-ureterectomy and nephrectomy
- Robotic adrenalectomy
- Dynamic prostate brachytherapy
Last updated: February 2023