Consultant in thrombosis and haemostasis
Beverley Hunt is a consultant in thrombosis and haemostasis and clinical lead for haematological laboratory services at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust.
She is also professor of thrombosis and haemostasis at King's College London and the strategic lead for laboratory haematology at Synnovis.
She is a national and international expert in thrombosis and acquired bleeding disorders. She sat on:
- multiple National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guideline development groups for the management and prevention of venous thromboembolism (VTE)
- the NICE VTE standards development committee
In 2022 she was honoured to give The John Stearne Lecture at the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland.
She has become an international expert on thrombosis and coagulopathy in COVID-19 patients and gave over 100 international webinar lectures and numerous media interviews.
She sits on the World Health Organisation and NICE guideline development groups producing living COVID-19 guidelines, and is also a member of multiple national and international COVID-19 and long-COVID research and advisory groups.
From March 2021 she was part of the core UK Expert Haematology Panel for managing and researching vaccine-induced immune thrombocytopenia and thrombosis (VITT). She gave a 10 minute interview on BBS Radio 4 describing VITT to the public.
Education and training
- Liverpool University
- King's College Hospital
- The Royal Postgraduate Medical School
- University College Hospital
- Antiphospholipid syndrome
- Clinical trials in agents to reduce bleeding in trauma and surgery
- Clinical trials of the new oral anticoagulants
- Understanding fibrinolysis
- Understanding the coagulopathies of acute promyelocytic and lymphatic leukaemias
- Developing innovative diagnostic assays
- Royal College of Pathology Achievement Award as part of the UK Expert Haematology Panel, 2022
- International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH) Esteemed Career Award, 2021
- She was the first woman to give the Van Creveld lecture for the Netherlands Thrombosis and Haemostasis Society, 2021
- She gave the first Gustav Born memorial lecture, 2021
- British Society for Haematology medal for service to haematology, 2020
- The Eberhard F Mammen award for most popular article (with Karen Schreiber), Thieme, 2020
- Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to medicine, 2019
- Research paper of the year for the CRASH-2 trial, British Medical Journal awards, 2011
- Thrombus Innovation awards for the thrombosis committee, 2010 and 2011
- Health Charity of the Year for Thrombosis UK (she is co-founder and medical director), 2010
- Patient group of 2010 for Thrombosis UK, Communique awards, 2010
- Innovation award for laboratory assays, NHS London, 2009
Beverley has produced many national and international guidelines as well as more than 430 published research papers.
Phone: 020 7188 2781
Email: [email protected]
- Prevention and management of venous thromboembolism
- Antiphospholipid syndrome
- Obstetric haematology
- Acquired bleeding problems including due to trauma and surgery
Last updated: February 2023