Consultant dermatologist and professor
Carsten Flohr is a consultant dermatologist at St John’s institute of dermatology, Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, and chair in dermatology and population health science at King’s College London. He is also research and development lead at St John’s Institute of Dermatology.
Carsten directs the unit for population-based dermatology research at St John’s Institute of Dermatology. His department has a particular interest in population-based dermatology research and clinical trials with a focus on atopic eczema.
For instance, he is chief investigator of the UK-Irish treatment of severe eczema in children trial (TREAT), which compares ciclosporine with methotrexate in children with recalcitrant atopic eczema. He is also chief investigator of the UK-Irish Atopic Eczema Systemic Therapy Register (A-STAR).
Carsten is a director of the International Eczema Council. He also chairs the British Association of Dermatologists Biologics Intervention Register (BADBIR) data monitoring committee.
He is editor of the evidence-based dermatology section of the British Journal of Dermatology and the clinical trials editor of the F1000 atopic dermatitis section.
Education and training
- Medicine, Oxford University
- Master of Science (MSc) in epidemiology - London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
Carsten is an international expert on childhood eczema and its links with other allergic diseases. He also has a keen interest in evidence-based dermatology, dermato-epidemiology, population health sciences and clinical trials.
- National Institute of Health Research career development fellow, 2014-2020
- National Institute of Health Research clincial scientist, 2009-2014
- The Skin Investigation Society Fellowship, 2009
- President’s Prize, Royal Society of Medicine Immunology Section, 2008
- Barry Kay Award for best clinical scientific research, British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 2007
- Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Fellow, Oxford University, 2006 - 2007
- John Radcliffe Senior Research Fellow, Oxford University, 2004 - 2006
- Hugh Wallace Publication Prize, Royal Society of Medicine, 2005
- International Symposium of Atopic Dermatitis Young Investigator Award, 2005
Phone: 020 7188 6399
- Children's dermatology
- Severe eczema
- Vascular anomalies
Last updated: January 2023