Professor of genomic epidemiology and honorary consultant rheumatologist
Frances Williams is a professor at King's College London and an honorary consultant in rheumatology at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust.
Education and training
- Fellow Royal College Physicians of Edinburgh, 2007
- PhD, University of London, 2002
- Member Royal College of Physicians, 1995
- MBBS Imperial College (distinction in clinical pharmacology), 1992
- BSc clinical sciences (first), 1991.
Frances performs genetic and epidemiological studies in TwinsUK and UK Biobank volunteers as well as patients to understand better the genetic basis for common conditions such as back pain, age-related hearing impairment and fibromyalgia. It is hoped this work will shed light on biological pathways and suggest targets for novel therapies.
International Society for the Study of the Lumbar Spine prizewinner for clinical studies, 2015 and 2019.
Tel: 020 7188 5875
Area of expertise: rheumatology
- Intervertebral disc degeneration and low back pain
- Osteoporosis and vertebral fracture
- Chronic pain syndromes
Last updated: October 2021