Ismail F Tevfik
Consultant cardiologist, clinical senior lecturer
Tevfik Ismail is a consultant cardiologist at Guy’s and St Thomas’ and a clinical senior lecturer at King’s College London. He is clinical lead for inflammatory myocardial and pericardial diseases and deputy clinical lead for the adult non-congenital CMR clinical service.
He has specialist interests in cardiovascular magnetic resonance (CMR) imaging; heart failure; inherited and inflammatory heart muscle/pericardial disease. In addition to weekly inherited cardiac conditions, heart failure and general cardiology clinics, he runs a monthly joint cardiology-rheumatology clinic. He is part of the EGPA service at St Thomas’ hospital and also works closely with the Bexley community heart failure service, running a monthly clinic at Queen Mary’s hospital, Sidcup.
Tevfik graduated from Imperial College School of Medicine in 2002 with numerous prizes and distinctions, as well as a BSc in Cardiovascular Medicine. He undertook junior doctor training in the North Thames region obtaining Membership of the Royal College of Physicians in 2005.
He undertook higher specialist training in Cardiology and General Internal Medicine at several leading London units including the Royal Brompton Hospital, Hammersmith hospital and the Transplant/advanced heart failure unit at Harefield hospital.
He completed his PhD at the Royal Brompton Hospital (National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College) on the Role of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance in the Diagnostic and Prognostic Assessment of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (2012).
He also obtained SCMR Level III accreditation in Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, SCCT Level III accreditation in Cardiovascular CT and completed British Society of Echocardiography transthoracic accreditation.
He has authored/co-authored numerous original papers in high impact international journals including Journal of the American College of Cardiologists, Circulation, Journal of the American Medical Association, Heart, and the Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance amongst others. He undertakes teaching and research within the School of Biomedical Engineering and Imaging Sciences (part of the Faculty of Life Sciences, King’s College London).
Education and training
- BSc(Hons) – Imperial College London
- MB BS – Imperial College London (St Mary’s Hospital Medical School)
- MRCP(UK) – Royal College of Physicians (London)
- DIC & PhD – Imperial College London
- PGCAP – Postgraduate Certificate of Academic Practice in Higher Education – King’s College London
- CCT in Cardiology & General Internal Medicine (North Thames Rotation – Harefield Hospital, Hammersmith Hospital, Royal Brompton Hospital, Charing Cross Hospital, Northwick Park Hospital, Watford General Hospital, Colchester General Hospital)
- Fellow of the Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiologists
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
- Fellow of the American Heart Association
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Inflammatory heart muscle disease/Myocarditis
- Myocardial mechanics/Magnetic Resonance Elastography
- Diagnostic and prognostic assessment of inherited and acquired cardiomyopathy
- Translational research (advanced imaging)
- mHealth and medication adherence
- Graduated with numerous prizes and distinctions in medicine, surgery, pathology and clinical pharmacology/therapeutics: proxime accesit to the University of London Gold Medal.
- Finalist at SCMR and BSCMR young investigator prize competitions.
- Heart failure
- Cardiovascular magnetic resonance
- Inherited cardiac conditions/cardiomyopathy
- Myocarditis/Inflammatory cardiomyopathy
- Cardiac EGPA
- Cardiac amyloidosis
- Medical education
Last updated: February 2022