Emergency general surgery consultant
Ivan Tomasi was appointed as consultant in emergency general surgery at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust in 2015.
He has been audit lead for general surgery for 4 years, and currently leads on spesis/infection control for the department.
Before joining Guy's and St Thomas' he spent 2 years as colorectal senior clinical fellow at Barts hospital in London. He then worked as a locum consultant in emergency surgery with colorectal subspecialty at Rotherham and Watford hospitals.
In 2005 he served as a volunteer doctor in a rural hospital in Burundi, Africa.
Education and training
- General surgery training, Verona University, 2006
- Medicine degree, Sassari University, 2005
- Qualified from medical school, 2000
- Acute colonic pseudo-obstruction
- Intra-abdominal sepsis
- Advanced treatment for haemorrhoids
- New biological markers for cancer and acute pancreatitis
- Honorary senior clinical lecturer at King's College London, 2017
Ivan is author of scientific articles in peer-reviewed journals and has presented at national and international meetings focusing on emergency surgery in elderly patients, acute colonic pseudo-obstruction, Transanal Hemorrhoidal Dearterialisation (THD) for haemorrhoids, and emergency palliative surgery.
Last updated: February 2023