Consultant cardiologist and electrophysiologist
Jonathan Behar became a consultant at Guy's and St Thomas' in 2021. He qualified from the Royal Free and UCL Medical School with a distinction in medical sciences in 2006. He completed general internal medicine and cardiology training in North London. He trained in electrophysiology and cardiac device implantation at the Barts Heart Centre, London.
Jonathan completed a PhD at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust and King's College London. This work investigated the role of advanced cardiac imaging in cardiac resynchronisation therapy. It also led to the co-invention of a patented software platform which fuses MRI and X-rays in real time. It was nominated for a European Heart Rhythm Association Innovation award in 2017.
Jonathan has written over 80 peer reviewed papers and continues to presents his work internationally. He has co-directed several international cardiology meetings.
After completing his cardiology training, he spent 2 years as a locum consultant at the Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals before taking up his permanent position at Guy's and St Thomas'.
Jonathan has a passion for addressing unmet clinical needs through translational and innovative solutions. He was an NHS England Clinical Entrepreneur Fellow and recently led a team which digitised pre-operative consent for patients undergoing cardiac procedures. This work won the Royal College of Physicians Digital Award for Excellence in Patient Care 2021.
Education and training
- Fellowship of the European Heart Rhythm Association, FEHRA, 2019
- Cardiology certificate of completion of training, 2019
- CCDS and CEPS-A, international accreditation in complex devices and electrophysiology, 2018
- Doctor of philosophy (PhD), Kings College London, 2017
- North east London cardiology training programme including specialist arrhythmia training at the Barts Heart Centre, 2010 to 2018
- Membership of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP) (UK), 2009
- Bachelor of medicine, bachelor of surgery (MBBS), and bachelor of science (BSc), Royal Free and University College Medical School, 2000 to 2006
- Cardiac resynchronisation therapy
- Novel pacing strategies and device innovation
- Cardiac implantable devices
- Digital health
Image guidance for cardiac procedures
- Royal College of Physicians Excellence in Patient Care Award, digital category winner – digital transformation for shared decision making and consent, 2021
- Finalist, European Heart Rhythm Association Inventor Award, guide cardiac resynchronisation therapy, 2017
- Honorary Life Membership, University of London, presented by Princess Anne, University Chancellor, 2006
Distinction in Medical Sciences, Royal Free and University College Medical School, 2006
Find a list of Jonathan Behar's publications on the National Library of Medicine website.
Secretary: Kim Grrom
Phone: 020 7188 0984 and 020 7188 0986
Email: [email protected]
- General cardiology
- Cardiac implantable devices (pacemakers, defibrillators and resynchronisation therapy)
- Cardiac arrhythmia management and catheter ablation
- Heart failure
- Device innovation
- Digital health and transformation
Last updated: February 2023