Consultant thoracic surgeon
Leanne Ashrafian is a consultant thoracic surgeon at Guy's and St Thomas'. She joined the thoracic surgery team at Guy's Hospital in 2021.
She is a clinical academic and holds honorary lecturing positions at King's College London and Imperial College London.
Since completing her PhD at Imperial College in 2014, Leanne has developed academic interests in:
- meta-analysis and evidence synthesis
- translational clinical trials
She supervises undergraduate and postgraduate students and teaches on master of science (MSc) courses, including in:
- minimal access and image-guided surgery
- research methods
In 2020, Leanne completed her robotic thoracic surgical training and intuitive robotic fellowship.
Leanne is an associate editor for the online global cardiothoracic community, CTSNet. She is also a member of the thoracic committee for the Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons (SCTS).
Education and training
- Bachelor of science (BSc) human physiology, Imperial College London, 2004 (Waller prize in physiology)
- Bachelor of medicine, bachelor of surgery (MBBS), Imperial College London, 2006
- Doctor of philosophy (PhD), Imperial College London, 2014
- Fellowship of the royal college of surgery (FRCS) (CTh), London, 2019 (McCormack gold medal for the best overall national performance in the final exam)
- Intuitive robotic surgical training fellowship, London, 2019
Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
Secretary: Katie Farrant
Phone: 020 7188 0952
Email: [email protected] and [email protected]
Kent and Canterbury Hospital
Secretary: Sharon Perez
Phone: 01227 206831, extension 722 6831
Email: [email protected]
Minimal access and robotic thoracic surgery, with a particular interest in:
- robotic surgery for lung cancer
- robotic thymectomy in myasthenia gravis, with and without associated thymoma
- growth and use of new technology
Last updated: September 2022