Consultant dermatologist and dermatological surgeon
Rakesh Patalay is a consultant dermatologist at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust. He is an expert in procedural dermatology.
He is the surgical clinical lead for the skin cancer screening service and teaches dermatology in the UK and abroad. He jointly provides the skin imaging service at Guy's and St Thomas'.
Rakesh has a higher degree in skin imaging and remains active academically. He is an expert in this field, leading the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) review and co-authoring the Cochrane Reviews for the use of reflectance confocal microscopy in skin cancer.
He is a committee member and advisor for surgery to the UK dermatology clinical trials network.
He is part of the UK translational research network in dermatology non-melanoma skin cancer group.
Education and training
- Internship in applied biophotonics and laser dermatology, Beckman Laser Institute, University of California Irvine, USA
- Fellowship in Mohs micrographic surgery and cutaneous lasers, St John's Institute of Dermatology
- Specialist dermatology training, London
- PhD in optics and skin imaging, Imperial College London
- BSc in neuroscience, University College London
- Medicine and surgery (MBBS), University College London
- Skin imaging , reflectance confocal microscopy, optical coherence tomography, multiphoton microscopy
- Skin cancer
- Mohs micrographic surgery
- Laser surgery
- Clive Archer thesis fellowship, 2014
- Hugh Wallace essay prize, 2013
- BAD surgery prize, British Society Dermatology, 2012
- BAD Bristol Cup runner up, 2005
Phone: 020 7188 6407
- Skin cancer
- Mohs surgery
- Skin surgery
- Skin imaging including reflectance confocal microscopy, optical coherence tomography, and multiphoton microscopy
- Skin cancer diagnosis and treatment, including moles
- Cosmetic dermatology
Last updated: December 2022