Consultant ENT and head and neck surgeon and clinical lead for head and neck surgery
Ricard Simo is a consultant head and neck surgeon at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust. He is the clinical lead for head and neck surgery and the surgical lead for thyroid cancer. Before joining Guy's and St Thomas' he worked at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust for 5 years.
Ricard provides a dedicated service for:
- head and neck cancer surgery
- thyroid surgery
- parathyroid surgery
- salivary gland surgery
He provides cancer services to south east London and a tertiary service for complex head and neck cancer and thyroid surgery. He is also the chairman of the south east London head and neck cancer tumour working group.
Ricard is an honorary senior lecturer and clinical advisor at King's College London. He is actively involved in training and teaching undergraduate students and postgraduate doctors and GPs, and is a faculty member of several national and international head and neck courses.
Ricard is a reviewer for several otorhinolaryngology head and neck surgery journals and has been an invited speaker in major national and international meetings and conferences.
He is a council member of:
- the ENT-UK head and neck group
- the section of laryngology and rhinology of the Royal Society of Medicine
Ricard also has an interest in complex and revision head and neck surgery which stems from his tertiary head and neck practice.
Education and training
- Otorhinolaryngology head and neck surgery training at Shrewsbury, Nottingham and Manchester
- Certificate of teaching, University of London, 2000
- Travelling Fellowship to visit the department of Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania, The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, 1999
- University of Barcelona, 1988
- Head and neck cancer surgery
- Thyroid surgery including large multinodular goitres and thyroid cancer
- Antibiotic therapy in head and neck surgery
- Management of the occult primary in head and neck cancer
- Laryngeal cancer
- Local clinical excellance award (LCEA) level 8
- Prize for the best oral presentation, Royal Society of Medicine, 2012
- Prize for the best poster presentation, 33rd annual meeting of the British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists, 2000
- Prize for the best oral presentation, the annual meeting of the British Association of Paediatric Otolaryngologists, 1996
Ricard has published over 70 articles in peer-reviewed medical journals and has written 5 chapters in national and international head and neck surgery textbooks.
Last updated: November 2022