Consultant cardiologist in valve disease and heart (cardiac) imaging
Ronak Rajani is a consultant cardiologist in heart valve disease and professor of cardiovascular imaging at King's College London.
He runs specialist clinics for people with mitral valve disease who are high-risk for surgical repair or replacement. He also has experience in heart failure and inherited cardiac conditions.
He is the cardiology lead for cardiac computed tomography (CT) and the non-structural heart valve clinic at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust.
He is also the National Institute for Health Research speciality group lead for cardiovascular services across south London and is the representative for the Royal College of Physicians and the British Cardiovascular Society for south east London. He also sits on the clinical advisory group for specialised commissioning of heart services with NHS England.
He supervises a number of PhD students and holds collaborative research grants with his colleagues at King's College London. He is a recognised key opinion leader for cardiac CT in the UK and is a regular invited speaker nationally and internationally.
He sits on the international sub-committee and abstract grading committee of the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography and is an advisory editor for Clinical Radiology and a section editor on Cardiovascular Imaging for EuroIntervention. He sits on the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging cardiac CT examination writing committee.
Ronak founded the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography endorsed London International CT Academy and is the course director. This has since become one of the largest training academies of its kind in Europe. In 2017, he created the world's first online training course for cardiac CT with a professional medical education company based in Austria.
As well as lecturing nationally and internationally on cardiac imaging, he has devised a model for clinical attachments in the UK and accepts elective medical students and postgraduate students from all over the world.
Education and training
- Training in cardiac MRI and nuclear cardiology, Royal Brompton Hospital
- Training in cardiac CT and PET imaging at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre, Los Angeles
- Level 3 Cardiac CT training, Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (SCCT) and European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging (EACVI)
- Level 2 nuclear cardiology training, SCCT and EACVI
- Level 2 cardiac MRI training, SCCT and EACVI
- Training in all aspects of advanced echocardiography (stress echo and transoesophageal echo)
- MD in echocardiography, 2006
- Fellowship of the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography
- Fellowship of the European Society of Cardiology
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians
- Fellowship of the American College of Cardiology
- Cardiovascular risk prediction using cardiac computed tomography
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Cardiac computed tomography for electrophysiology applications
- Cardiac computed tomography for structural intervention planning
- Fellowship in advanced cardiac imaging, British Cardiovascular Society and American College of Cardiology
Last updated: December 2022