Consultant in emergency medicine
Shumontha Dev is a consultant in Emergency Medicine at Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Alongside his clinical work in Emergency Medicine, he has been involved in medical education, both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He is a Deputy Director of Medical Education. He is also the lead Foundation Training Programme Director for the trust and a Honorary Senior Lecturer at the Medical School, King's College London. He is a Clinical and Educational supervisor to medical students and trainees of all grades.
He has a wide range of experience of training and dealing with supervision of junior doctors of all grades, as well as medical students. He has a good understanding of the core skills required to succeed in supervision, and especially managing and supporting doctors that may be having difficulties. He is also on the Council of NACT-UK, representing the Foundation Programme.
He is involved with faculty development, delivering on the supervision courses for supervisors and developing the faculty to deliver simulation training. He has developed and delivered a number of simulation courses within the trust, specifically for the Foundation Programme and Emergency Medicine. He is a Medical Director for the Life Support courses of ALS/ATLS/EPALS courses and also an instructor for the APLS course.
He is an examiner for the Royal College of Emergency Medicine and regularly examines for both written and OSCE examinations.
He is a trained appraiser for Consultants and non-training grade doctors and has been appraising doctors from a variety of specialties, including Emergency Medicine, for the past few years.
In 2009, he obtained an Expert Witness Certificate in medico-legal work from University of Cardiff in collaboration with the Bond Solon medico-legal training company, he also undertakes medico-legal work for personal injuries.
Education and training
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) (1st Class Hons) Chemistry – University College London
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgeyr (MBBS) – University College London
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCSEd) (A & E) – Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Fellowship of Royal College of Emergency Medicine (FRCEM) – Fellowship of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine
- Masters in Medical Education (MMedEd) – University of Warwick
- Expert Witness Certificate (Bond Solon-University of Cardiff)
- EMCC (European Mentoring and Coaching Council) Global Individual Accreditation (EIA) Coach
Last updated: February 2023