Professor of nephrology
Steve Sacks is the:
- Director of the MRC Centre for Transplantation
- Head of Department of Nephrology & Transplantation at King's College London
- Leader of the Biomedical Research Centre Transplant Theme at Guy's and St Thomas'
A renal physician with a PhD from the laboratory of molecular biology in Cambridge, and previously medical tutor at the Nuffield Department of Medicine in Oxford, he moved to an NHS consultant post at Guy's. Since 1995 he has been a professor at King's College London.
He was Chairman of the Guy's Research Ethics Committee for over 10 years. Professor Sacks is a fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences and senior investigator for the National Institute for Health Research. He is currently a member of the population and systems medicine board and the translational research group for the Medical Research Council. He sits on the scientific strategy committee of the Arthritis Research Campaign.
- Biology of inflammation (complement) and kidney disease, particularly the regulation of the adaptive immune response by the innate immune system and translation to biomarker analysis, diagnostic tools and new treatment.
- Laboratory focuses on transplantation, immune kidney disease and antimicrobial defence.
Secretary: Jenny Owen and Irene Miles
Secretary tel: 020 7188 5667
Area of expertise: kidney
- Immune disorders of the kidney
- keen interest in medical ethics and medico-legal matters.
Last updated: April 2022