Honorary consultant health psychologist/professor of psychology as applied to dentistry
A founder member of the King’s Dental Institute health psychology service, Tim Newton allocates half of his week to clinical commitments, in particular providing cognitive behaviour therapy to support patients with dental phobia to overcome their fear, and support for individual’s facing challenging dental procedures.
The wider service provides psychological support for individuals with chronic oro-facial pain as well as other long term oral conditions.
Education and training
- Health Care Professions Council Registered Practitioner Psychologist (health)
BA Psychology, University of Liverpool
PhD, Faculty of Medicine, University of Liverpool
- Cognitive Behaviour therapy for dental phobia
- interventions to enhance oral health related behaviour.
- Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society
- Honorary Member of the British Orthodontic Society
- Webb Johnson Lecturer of the Royal College of Surgeons (England)
- International Association for Dental Research Distinguished Scientist
Email: [email protected]
Area of expertise: health psychology
- Dental phobia
- preparation for orthognathic treatment
- oral health related behaviour.
Last updated: May 2021