Dr Craig Bailey, consultant anaesthetist
Secretary tel: 020 7188 0644
Craig Bailey FRCA has been a consultant anaesthetist at our hospital since 1995. He is Chair of the safety committee at the Association of Anaesthetists and is an elected council and board member. He is an editor of the journal Anaesthesia.
His fixed sessional commitments involve:
- two sessions of lower gastrointestinal surgery for cancer: all types of lower bowel cancer surgery are performed
- one session of oro-facio-maxillary day case anaesthesia: the types of patients anaesthetised on these operating lists range from straightforward wisdom teeth extractions to temporomandibular joint problems
- one session of anaesthesia for thoracic surgery: for any patient with chest disease, ranging from benign lump excision to pneumonectomy
- two sessions of anaesthesia for orthopaedic surgery: mainly for shoulder surgery and includes regional nerve blocks.
Craig has a Certificate in Teaching from South Bank University, and was previously an examiner for the final FRCA examination for 12 years. Craig is an educational supervisor for both undergraduates and postgraduates and is a trained appraiser. He was previously college tutor, programme director and head of the South Eastern School of Anaesthesia.
- Patient safety
- teaching, training and education.
- MB, BS - parts 1-5, University College, London (1979 - 1981)
- MB, BS - parts 6-8, Westminster Medical School, London (1981 - 1985)
- MRCP part I - London University (1986)
- Diploma in Anaesthetics - Royal College of Anaesthetists (1988)
- FRCA - Royal College of Anaesthetists (1991)
Craig has more than 50 publications, including a book and nine book chapters. His h-index is 13 and he has been cited more than 600 times.