Dr Irene De Francesco is a consultant at Guy's and St Thomas' and honorary senior clinical lecturer at King's College London.
Irene graduated from Sapienza University Medical School in Rome, Italy, and completed her post-graduate training in clinical oncology at Sapienza University and at the Royal Marsden Hospital in 2016. She has been working as a research fellow at the Royal Marsden Hospital for two years and conducted research in anal cancer, focusing on modern radiotherapy techniques, assessment and improvement of treatment related toxicity. Her post-graduate thesis was published in the Royal College of Radiologists' journal Clinical Oncology.
Her interest in technical radiotherapy and advanced imaging techniques brought her to the University College Hospital, where she has been appointed as research fellow and joined the consortium for the European project INSERT. This project lead to the development of an integrated single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) MRI system for assessment of treatment response during and after chemo-radiotherapy.
Irene joined the Sarah Cannon Research Institute, London in 2018 as a research fellow and gained more experience managing national and international clinical trials.
In 2019 she joined Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust, where she has been appointed a consultant clinical oncologist with special interest in cutaneous lymphoma, melanoma, non-melanoma skin cancer and Kaposi's sarcoma, as well as colorectal cancer with special interest in anal squamous cell carcinoma (SCC).
Irene is also:
- primary investigator for clinical trials involving use of radiotherapy and systemic treatment in skin cancers
- lead for the skin brachytherapy service at Guy's Cancer Centre
- European Platform of Cancer Research (EORTC) and UK member of the cutaneous lymphoma group
- involved in the delivery of total skin electron beam radiotherapy and systemic treatment for cutaneous lymphoma
- actively involved in clinical trials and advanced radiotherapy techniques for anal cancer treatment
- clinical oncology supervisor for specialist registrar training at Guy's and St Thomas'.