Secretary: Monique Hamilton
Secretary tel: 020 7188 2216
Secretary email: email@example.com
Area of expertise: cancer of the head and neck and salivary glands
Richard Oakley became a consultant at Guy's and St Thomas' NHs Foundation Trust in 2010. He is the clinical lead for head and neck cancer services and the training programme director for the south London higher surgical training scheme in otolaryngology.
After degrees in dentistry and medicine he completed higher surgical training in otolaryngology and head and neck surgery in London and the south east.
Richard worked in California as a clinical instructor in head and neck surgical oncology at Stanford University Hospital and clinics.
Whilst at Stanford he undertook head and neck cancer stem cell research at their institute for cancer stem cell research under Dr John Sunwoo.
Education and training
- dentistry, Kings College London
- medicine, Royal Free and University College London
- basic surgical training, Cambridge University teaching hospitals
- higher surgical training, South Thames
- clinical instructor head and neck surgical oncology, Stanford University Hospital and clinics, Palo Alto, California, USA (American head and neck society approved surgical oncology fellowship).
- cancer of the face, scalp, oral cavity, ear, nose, throat and salivary glands
- improving patient outcomes through development of an enhanced recovery programme for head and neck cancer patients
- scarless parotid surgery
- medical education.
- the extrapolation of enhanced recovery principles to head and neck cancer patients to develop a bespoke enhanced recovery programme that engages the patient from point of diagnosis to discharge from surveillance
- work streams including prevention and carbohydrate loading.
- distinctions in final MBBS: surgery, pathology, clinical pharmacology
- merit final MBBS: medicine
- Esther White memorial prize
- trainer or the year, Stanford University Otolaryngology, 2008-2009.