Secretary tel: 020 7188 1047
Secretary email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Area of expertise: general cardiology, valve disease, ischaemic heart disease, infective endocarditis
Bernard Prendergast joined Guy's and St Thomas' Trust in March 2015 as Director of the Cardiac Structural Intervention Programme.
Bernard trained in cardiology in Cardiff, Paris and Edinburgh and undertook consultant posts at Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester (2001-2007) and the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford (2007-2015).
He has been honorary secretary of the British Cardiovascular and Cardiovascular Intervention Societies, and Chairman of the European Society of Cardiology Working Group on Valvular Heart Disease.
Research interests focus on the epidemiology and treatment of valvular heart disease/infective endocarditis and he is course director of EuroPCR London Valves, the world’s largest specialist meeting in valve intervention.
- General cardiology
- Valve disease
- Ischaemic heart disease
- Infective endocarditis.
Valvular heart disease including:
- epidemiology and natural history
- genetic and metabolomic associations
- biochemical and imaging biomarkers
- multicentre RCTs of early surgery
- novel percutaneous treatments
- international practice guidelines
Infective endocarditis including:
- UK national registry
- role of antibiotic prophylaxis
- advanced imaging modalities
- international practice guidelines.
- National Clinical Excellence Awards, 2010/2013
- Trust Excellence Award, 2012
- Medical Research Council/European Society of Cardiology International Fellowship, 1997
- British Cardiac Society Young Research Workers Prize Finalist, 1997
- British Heart Foundation Junior Research Fellowship, 1995.