Secretary: Anita Chambers
Secretary tel: 020 7188 9491
Area of expertise: inherited cardiac conditions
Rachel Bastiaenen joined Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust as a consultant cardiologist and honorary senior lecturer in 2017.
Rachel trained at Peterhouse, Cambridge and Imperial College London and qualified in 2002. She completed cardiology training in the London Deanery and a fellowship in Vancouver, Canada. Her principal clinical interests are inherited cardiac conditions and Cardiac Magnetic Resonance imaging.
Her PhD research project involved non-invasive risk stratification of patients with cardiomyopathy. She has presented her work at national and international conferences and has a series of publications in peer reviewed journals. Her PhD was awarded from St George’s University of London in 2014. She has ongoing research interests in arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy and Brugada syndrome.
Rachel is a member of the European Society of Cardiology Working Group for Myocardial and Pericardial Disease, the Association for Inherited Cardiac Conditions, the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging and the Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance.
Education and training
- Peterhouse, Cambridge (MA)
- Imperial College School of Medicine (MBBS)
- Royal College of Physicians (MRCP)
- St George’s University of London (PhD)
- Inherited cardiomyopathies
- Inherited arrhythmia syndromes
- Sudden cardiac death/Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome (SADS)
- Cardiovascular genetics
- Cardiac Magnetic Resonance imaging
- Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy
- Brugada syndrome
- Unexplained cardiac arrest
- NIHR clinical lecturer
- St George's Hospital Medical School best research supervisor