Stam Kapetanakis, consultant cardiologistSecretary: Monatt Adama
Secretary email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary tel: 020 7188 7188 ext 58408
Area of expertise: heart failure and cardiac imaging
Dr Stamatis Kapetanakis is a consultant in heart failure and cardiac imaging at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust.
As well as conducting regular heart failure clinics and specialist echocardiography sessions, he is the lead for cardio-oncology and maintains runs a dedicated muscular dystrophy clinic.
Dr Kapetanakis completed his undergraduate training at the Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. In 2000 he undertook a clinical fellowship in cardiology and advanced echocardiography at King’s College Hospital, London. This was followed by a research fellowship in 3D echocardiography at King’s in 2002 that focused on advanced applications in heart failure.
Dr Kapetanakis joined Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust as a consultant in 2010. He is a recognised expert in all aspects of echocardiography and lectures nationally and internationally on aspects of 3D echocardiography. Alongside his clinical duties he maintains an active interest in research and applying advanced echocardiography techniques to optimising patient care.
Education and training
- 2010: CCT cardiology
- 2000: MRCP (UK)
- 1996: Professional competency examination (MRCP equivalent, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1994: Läkarexamen (MB.BS, Stockholm, Sweden)
- 2010-2011: locum consultant cardiologist, Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
- 2011–present: consultant cardiologist, Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
- 2008–2010: Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital
- 2006–2008: King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- 2005–2006: Princess Royal University Hospital
- 2004–2005: Kent and Canterbury Hospital
- 2001-2004: research fellow in advanced echocardiography, King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- 2000-2001: clinical fellow in cardiology, King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
House officer / senior house officer
- Two-year house officer rotation followed by one year post in general practice in Stockholm, Sweden
- One year cardiology senior house officer post in Rhodes, Greece
- Senior house officer posts in various medical specialities and emergency medicine