Mr Stephen Black, consultant vascular surgeon
Secretary tel: 020 7188 2574
Please send referrals to: gst-tr.Vascular-Referrals@nhs.net
Areas of expertise: vascular surgery
Mr Stephen Black qualified from the University of the Witwatersrand Medical School in 1998 and moved to the UK in 2001.
He obtained an MD in simulation based training from Imperial College London and completed his higher surgical training with placements at St Thomas', St George's and St Mary’s Hospitals, London.
In 2010 he was appointed as a consultant vascular surgeon and honorary senior lecturer at St George's Hospital and Medical School. At St George's Mr Black led the establishment of a programme for deep venous intervention which grew to be one of the largest in Europe.
In 2012 he was awarded the Fellowship of the European Board of Vascular Surgery and in 2014 he moved to Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust.
Mr Black is a programme director for the Charing Cross Venous Meeting and is on the organising committee of the European Venous Forum Hand on Workshops. He is also on the organising committee and is an examiner for the Fellowship of the European Board of Surgery.
- deep venous disease treatment
- training (simulation).
- Excellence in T Year Teaching St George's Hospital 2012/13/14
- Level 1 CEA award 2012
- ASIT Prize RSM Surgery Section Registrar Presentation Day, December 2007
- First Prize for patient safety research ASE Conference Tuscon, US, March 2006
(Presentation by C Wetzel)
- Runner up Finlandia Prize: Association of International Vascular Surgeons
meeting, Davos, Switzerland, March 2006
- Sol Cohen Founders Prize, Vascular Society of Great Britain & Ireland: November
2005 (Presentation by R Aggarwal)
- Richard Wood Memorial Prize: Vascular Society of Great Britain & Ireland:
November 2005 (Presentation by E Horrocks)
- Best Video Presentation, European Society for Vascular Surgery, Innsbruck
Austria, September 2004
- John Godlonton Award, Edendale Hospital, 1999.