Tel: 020 7188 5489
Area of expertise: vascular and non-vascular interventional radiology, endovascular treatment of below the knee obstructive arterial disease, children's interventional radiology
Languages spoken: English, Greek
Dr Athanasios Diamantopoulos is a consultant interventional radiologist at Guy’s and St Thomas'. He qualified in 2004 from the medical school of University of Patras. In 2013, Athanasios was awarded a PhD from the University of Patras in experimental prevention of contrast induced nephropathy, an active research interest.
Athanasios has been trained in all aspects of general and interventional radiology at Patra's University Hospital. In 2012, he completed an interventional radiology fellowship at Guy’s and St Thomas'.
Following completion of his training he was appointed consultant interventional radiologist at Guy’s and St Thomas'. His clinical experience includes all aspects of basic and advanced interventional radiology procedures with a special focus in peripheral endovascular procedures, arteriovenous access procedures, venous and peadiatric interventions.
Athanasios has authored or co-authored a number of peer-reviewed original scientific papers and book chapters. In addition, he has presented numerous oral free papers and scientific presentations and has been an invited lecturer in national and international conferences.
Education and training
- School of Medicine, University of Patras, Greece (2004)
- PhD, University of Patras, Greece (2013)
- CCT in general and interventional radiology, University Hospital of Patras
- Interventional radiology fellowship, Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust (2012)
- vascular interventions, especially in diabetic patients and below the knee occlusive arterial disease
- vascular interventions using CO2 angiography
- children's interventional radiology
- non-vascular interventions.
- endovascular therapies of the diabetic foot and below the knee arteries
- prevention of contrast induced nephropathy (eg: CO2 angiography)
- venous interventions
- children's interventional radiology.
- The Editors' Medal 2011, Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology (CVIR), Springer Science (2011)
- CIRSE Fellowship Grant (2012)
- BSIR Registrar scholarship case study (2012).