Area of expertise: vascular and interventional radiology
Dr Gregory Makris completed his specialty training in clinical imaging as a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) academic clinical fellow in Cambridge University Hospitals and his subspecialty training in interventional radiology at Oxford University Hospitals.
Before his clinical specialty training, he was awarded a PhD in vascular surgery from Imperial College London for his work on vascular imaging and carotid disease.
He is a fellow of the Royal College of Radiology and active member of the national and interventional radiology community having held positions as chairman of the trainee committees in the British Society of Interventional Radiology as well as in the Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology Society of Europe (CIRSE).
Education and training
- Vascular and interventional radiology fellowship, Oxford University Hospitals, 2015-2019
- Diagnostic radiology training, Cambridge University Hospitals, 2012-2015
- PhD in vascular surgery, Imperial College London, 2009-2012
- Medical degree, University of Athens, Greece, 2001-2007
- Peripheral arterial and venous disease
- Women's health (fibroid embolisation and pelvic congestion syndrome)
- Men's Health (prostate artery embolisation and testicular embolisation)
- Global health
- Research grant from the British society of interventional radiology for research on embolisation of haemorrhoidal vessels
- Research grant from NIHR Cambridge biomedical research centre (BRC) for MR-based carotid research
- Research grant from Ealing Hospital, London for research on vascular imaging of atherosclerotic disease
- Annual scholarship from the Levendis Foundation, Cyprus (£5,000)
- Scholarship from the Cardiovascular Disease and Educational Research Trust (CDER) for cardiovascular research studies
Gregory is passionate about research and he is the main author of more than 50 peer-reviewed publications and book chapters, member of the CVIR endovascular journal editorial board and peer reviewer for a number of international journals.
He is also a TEDx speaker and has presented in many national and international conferences.