Dr Irfan Ahmed, consultant interventional radiologist
Area of expertise: interventional and diagnostic radiology
Languages spoken: English and Urdu
Mr Irfan Ahmed qualified in 2000 from Guy’s, King’s and St Thomas’ Medical School. After completing basic medical and then radiology training, he did a fellowship in interventional radiology at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals followed by a fellowship at Barts and the London NHS Trust and an honorary fellowship at Great Ormond Street Hospital.
He was appointed as a consultant interventional radiologist at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust in 2009.
Education and training
- FRCR – Royal College of Radiologists, 2006
- MRCP – Royal College of Physicians London, 2003
- MBBS – Guy’s, King’s and St Thomas’ Medical School, 2000
- BSc (Hons) Biochemistry & Basic Medical Science, 1997
- Uterine artery Eembolisation for fibroid symptoms and adenomyosis
- Urological interventions
- Arterial and Venous disease
- Prostate Artery Embolisation
- Vascular access in adults and children
- FEMME trial – Uterine artery embolization for fibroid symptoms vs myomectomy
- UK ROPE study on prostate artery embolisation
- Lutonix registry for drug eluting balloons in peripheral arterial occlusive disease
- VIVO-EU Zilver Vena registry for venous obstructive disease.
- Best Educational Poster – British Society of Interventional Radiologists, 2008
- Pfizer Prize – Elective research essay on breast feeding in the developing world, 1999
- British Medical and Dental Elective Trust Prize, 1999
- Distinction in Basic Medical Sciences – Guy’s, King’s and St Thomas’ Medical School, 1994