Mr Martyn Cobourne, professor of orthodontics
Research secretary: Angela Gates, 020 7188 1795
Area of expertise: orthodontics
Professor Martyn Cobourne is a graduate of King's College London and undertook his postgraduate training at both King's College Hospital and Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust. Between 1999 and 2002 he was a MRC Clinical Training Fellow in Craniofacial Biology at UMDS with Professor Paul Sharpe.
His clinical interests lie in the management of complex orthodontic problems, with particular emphasis on multidisciplinary orthodontic-surgical treatment of patients with non-syndromic facial deformity. He runs a basic science research laboratory investigating craniofacial anomalies at King’s College London and has led multiple randomized controlled trials investigating the clinical efficiency of orthodontic appliances.
He is the training programme director in orthodontics at Guy's and St Thomas' and editor-in-chief of the Journal of Orthodontics. He is an elected board member at the Faculty of Dental Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons of England and was Director of Research at the British Orthodontic Society (2012-2016).
Education and training
- United Medical and Dental Schools (1998-2002)
- King’s College London Dental Institute (1994-1997)
- Kings College School of Medicine and Dentistry (1986-1990)
- Evidence-based orthodontic treatment
- Orthognathic treatment
- Cleidocranial dyplasia
- Missing maxillary lateral incisor teeth
Martyn is the principle investigator in a laboratory-based research group within the Centre for Craniofacial Development and Regeneration at the Faculty of Dentistry, Oral and Craniofacial Sciences, King’s College London. He investigates molecular mechanisms underlying disorders affecting the craniofacial region, including cleft lip and palate, holoprosencephaly and regulation of tooth number.
- BF and Helen E Dewel Award, American Association of Orthodontists (2019)
- British Orthodontic Society Chapman Prize (2014, 2016, 2018, 2019)
- Northcroft Memorial Lecturer, British Orthodontic Society (2018)
- Distinguished Service Award, British Orthodontic Society (2016)
- Royal College of Surgeons of England Charles Tomes Medal (2015)
- British Society of Dental Research Senior Colgate prize (2000)
- Over 140 original publications listed in PubMed.
- Co-author of two orthodontic textbooks (Handbook of Orthodontics, 2nd Edition, Mosby Elsevier 2015; Clinical Cases in Orthodontics, Wiley 2012).
- Editor of two clinical textbooks (Orthodontic Management of the Developing Dentition – An Evidence-Based Guide, Springer International Publishing 2017; Cleft Lip and Palate: Epidemiology, Aetiology and Treatment, Karger Frontiers of Oral Biology 2012).