Medical secretary (psoriasis) - Shanti Martin
Tel: 020 7188 6417
Patient pathway assistant (eczema) – Aisha Nakasi
Tel: 020 7188 0844
Catherine Smith was appointed senior lecturer at St John’s Institute of Dermatology and consultant dermatologist at Lewisham Hospital in 1995.
She moved to St John’s Institute of Dermatology full-time in 2005. Catherine is a key clinician in the nationally recognised severe psoriasis and severe eczema services at St John's.
Alongside her clinical research, she has a major interest in guideline development and implementation, including most recently, as chair of NICE guidelines on psoriasis.
- Inflammatory skin disease – psoriasis, eczema (dermatitis)
- Therapeutics including biologic therapies
- Evidence-based medicine.
Principal research interests relate to therapeutics, particularly for inflammatory skin disease, and cover:
- identification of genetic and other biomarkers that predict treatment outcomes, including severe adverse drug reactions, working in close collaboration with other groups in the division of medicine and molecular genetics
- clinical trials (phase II-IV) to evaluate/optimise treatments for psoriasis and atopic dermatitis
- translation of clinical research into practice through the development of high quality guidelines.