Medical secretary (psoriasis) – Shanti Martin
Tel: 020 7188 6417
Administrator (psoriasis and eczema) – Manpreet Khokhar
Tel: 020 7188 1901
Area of expertise: psoriasis, medical dermatology
Jonathan Barker has been professor of medical dermatology at St John’s Institute of Dermatology since 2000 and was head of the Academic Department from 2002-2018 when he was also course director for MSc Clinical Dermatology.
He established the severe psoriasis service at St John’s Institute of Dermatology and Guy’s and St Thomas’s in 1996. It has grown to become the most comprehensive and holistic service in the UK. In 2016 it won BMJ Dermatology team of the year award.
He is currently president of the International Psoriasis Council, having been President of European Society for Dermatological Research and President European Dermatology Forum. He sits on Psoriasis Association patients organisation medical advisory committee. He is an editor of Rook’s Textbook of Dermatology the major textbook in English language.
- Acute dermatology
- Medical dermatology
- American Skin Association Psoriasis Achievement Award 2007
Citation: For outstanding accomplishments in clinically-oriented research in the pathogenesis and genetics of psoriasis, and in translational research to bring better treatments for psoriasis to the clinic
- Asian Academy of Dermatology and Venereology Honorary Fellow 2010
- European Dermatology Forum ‘Pro Meritis’ award 2013
Citation: In recognition of his outstanding contributions to the advancement of dermatovenereology in Europe
- Honorary overseas member of several national dermatology associations including France, Germany, Japan and Denmark
Principal research interests relate to:
- understanding genetic basis of disease mechanisms as they relate to psoriasis and other common inflammatory skin diseases such as acne and eczema
- identification of biomarkers that predict outcome and response to treatment in above conditions
- conducting phase 2-4 clinical trials – both grant and industry funded in psoriasis.