Secretary email: email@example.com
Secretary tel: 020 7188 2519
Area of expertise: general geriatric medicine, acute and general internal medicine, community geriatrics, comprehensive geriatric assessment, acute frailty, advance care planning, dementia medical education
Dan Furmedge trained at King’s College London Medical School and completed his postgraduate training at Guy’s and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust, University College Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Bart’s Health NHS Trust, Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust and King’s College Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
His work at the Trust includes caring for older inpatients on the Older Person’s Unit, seeing acute medical patients on the medical take, seeing acute older patients on the Acute Older Person’s (frailty) Unit and seeing patients for the innovative hospital @home service. He supports the Southwark supported discharge team and has a comprehensive geriatric assessment and general geriatric medicine clinic. Dan is also developing a project supporting comprehensive geriatric assessment and advance care planning for patients in their own homes in Lambeth. His clinical interests include acute care of older people, liaison geriatrics, palliative care and advance care planning, dementia and general geriatric and general medicine.
Dan has a keen interest in medical education and completed a three-year academic clinical fellowship in medical education at UCL Medical School. During this time he completed an MSc in Medical Education and published on peer teaching, quality assurance in revalidation and OSCEs. He is honorary senior clinical lecturer in medical education, training programme director for internal medicine training at Guy's and St Thomas' and is an MRCP PACES examiner. He is responsible for year 5 medical students and year 2 physician associate students within the department of ageing and health.
He is also an accredited medical examiner and undertakes independent medico-legal expert witness work.
Education and training
- RCPathME, Royal College of Pathologists, 2019
- MSc, University College London, 2015
- MAcadMEd, Academy of Medical Educators, 2013
- FHEA, Higher Education Academy, 2013
- DRCOG, Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 2012
- MRCP, Royal College of Physician’s, 2011
- MBBS, King’s College London, 2009
- AKC, King’s College London, 2009
- Acute care old older people and ‘frailty’
- General geriatric and general medicine
- Community geriatrics
- Palliative care, end of life care and advance care planning
- Liaison geriatrics
- Undergraduate medical education
- Postgraduate medical education
- Medical education
- Assessment in medicine
- Ethnicity and its role in education and training
- Portfolios, revalidation and reflective practice
- Qualitative research