Tom ErnstTel: 020 7188 2516
Area of expertise: acute and geriatric medicine, falls, dizziness and syncope assessment, mindfulness-based therapies.
Languages spoken: English, German
Thomas Ernst has been a consultant physician at St Thomas' since May 2006, working in general medicine (largely focussed on assessment and treatment of dizzy spells, blackouts and related falls in all ages) and geriatric medicine.
He looks after older inpatients in the Older Person’s Unit. He runs specialist clinics for falls and syncope assessment, with a specialist interest in mindfulness-based therapies. He also runs a tilt table service.
Education and training
- undergraduate medical degree: Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
- specialist training: Edinburgh, south west England, Australia, London.
- syncope assessment
- neurogenic syncope (simple faints, dizzy spells, POTS, carotid sinus syndrome)
- autonomic function (orthostatic hypotension and intolerance)
- mindfulness-based therapy approaches for symptom control in chronic medical illness
- clinical medicine
- mindfulness-based therapies
- neurogenic syncope (carotid sinus syndrome, recurrent simple faints, orthostatic hypotension)
- chronic fatigue
- postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS).