Secretary: Runa DaCosta
Telephone: 020 7188 9115
Area of expertise: emergency medicine (accident and emergency)
Languages spoken: English and Bengali.
As a substantive consultant, Dr Shumontha Dev very much enjoys all aspects of emergency care, from managing minor illnesses and injuries to managing very unwell patients in the resuscitation room.
As well as the emergency department, he is involved with managing patients that are admitted to the 24 hour short stay Emergency Medical Unit with a wide spectrum of problems.
- director for trauma at Guy's and St Thomas'
- a member of the south east London, Kent and Medway (SELKaM) network Trauma Board
- a member and co-chair of the Education Quality assurance committee of King’s Health Partners
- a member of the Standards and Audit group of the College of Emergency Medicine to improve emergency care nationally
- an examiner for the College of Emergency Medicine
- a member of the TARN (Trauma Audit and Research Network) audit group at the University of Manchester which collates data nationally on trauma care.
Involvement in education and training
Shumontha is the lead foundation training programme director for Guy's and St Thomas' and directs both ATLS and ALS courses on a regular basis. He's an instructor on APLS courses and regularly runs high fidelity simulation courses for the emergency department.
As the lead for the inter-professional simulation courses for foundation trainees, Shumontha also provides faculty training for foundation year two doctors.
He is the lead for undergraduate simulation at Guy's and St Thomas', providing inter-professional simulation training for final year King's College London (KCL) medical and nursing students.
Shumontha is also the lead for medical students that rotate through the emergency department as part of their training and provides both formal and informal teaching sessions in the emergency department, as well as running a half day annual trauma symposium.
Education and training
- BSc (Hons) Chemistry – University College London
- MBBS – University College London
- FRCSEd (A & E) – Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- FCEM – Fellowship of the College of Emergency Medicine
- Masters in Medical Education (MMedEd) – University of Warwick
- Expert Witness Certificate (Bond Solon-University of Cardiff).