Adults secretary: Kay Smith
Tel: 0207 188 7188 (ext 55042)
Paediatrics secretary: Katherine Tack
Tel: 0207 188 0716
Tel: 02071887188 (ext 52633/4)
Area of expertise: ear disease and hearing implants for adults and children, otology, auditory implants, children's ear nose and throat (ENT).
Having been inspired into ENT as a medical student and house officer at Guy’s and St Thomas’, Mr Harry Powell undertook basic surgical training in Bristol followed by specialist training at several prestigious London teaching hospitals.
Two and a half years of otology, cochlear implant, neuro-otology and skull base surgery at the Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital cemented his subspecialist interests.
He was awarded the Graham Fraser Memorial Fellowship and two Royal College of Surgeons grants for advanced surgical training in ear surgery and auditory implantation in Sydney, Australia, where he developed an interest in endoscopic ear surgery.
Harry returned to Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust as the otology and auditory implant fellow and was subsequently appointed as a consultant in September 2016.
Education and training
Otology and auditory implant fellow - Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Graham Fraser Memorial Fellowship - Sydney Cochlear Implant Centre and Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia
ENT specialist registrar training:
- Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital
- Great Ormond Street Hospital
- The Royal Marsden.
Hearing implants (cochlear, middle ear and bone anchored solutions)
Otology and neuro-otology (surgery for ear disease and peripheral balance disorders)
- Auditory rehabilitation in mircotia/atresia
Endoscopic ear surgery.
- Royal Society of Medicine, Otology section short papers prize 2016
- Alice Maud Hall Prize for BACO 2015
- Combined Universities temporal bone dissection prize 2015
- Award from the Colledge Family Memorial Fellowship Fund 2013
- Award from the Ethicon Foundation Fund 2013
- Winner – UCL Battle of the Surgeons 2013
- Graham Fraser Memorial Fellowship award
- Alice Maud Hall Prize for overseas observership 2011
- Audit prize, Southend University Hospital research and audit day, 2010
- Royal Society of Medicine, Ian Mackay Essay Prize 2009-10