Dr Donal McLornan, consultant haematologist
Tel: 020 7188 1431
Secretary: Suzanne Bates
Area of expertise: bone marrow transplantation and leukaemia
Donal McLornan, MB Bch (Hons) MRCP PhD FRCPath, has been working for us since October 2010. His main clinical and research interests are stem cell transplantation, myeloproliferative neoplasms and myeloid malignancies.
Donal graduated in 1999 from Queen’s University Belfast with Honours. He had subspeciality training in Hammersmith Hospital on all aspects of stem cell transplantation
During his post-graduate training he was awarded a prestigious MRC fellowship and completed a PhD investigating drug resistance in acute myeloid leukaemia for which he received several awards.
Clinically he specialises in haemato-oncology and stem cell transplantation at Guys's and St.Thomas' Hospital. He has a particular interest in myeloproliferative disorders, myelodysplasia, acute myeloid leukaemia and allogeneic stem cell transplantation.
Education and training
- Postgraduate haematology training in Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Medical Research Council (MRC) clinical fellowship award for a PhD investigating drug resistance / apoptosis in AML, Queen's University of Belfast 2006-2009
- Sub-speciality training in stem cell transplantation at Hammersmith Hospital, London
- Myeloproliferative Neoplasms (MPN)
- stem cell transplantation for MPN
- acute leukaemias
He has an active MPN translational research portfolio and is the UK Chief Investigator of several large Myelofibrosis studies.
He is supervising two MD students in the field of MPN.
He sits on the NCRN MPN working group and is the current chair of the Ph Neg MPN subcommittee of the Chronic Malignancy Working Party of EBMT.